Bureau of Sanitation
Sanitation Collection Reminders
BULK AND METAL COLLECTION
- SCHEDULE BULK AND METAL PICKUPS HERE
- Bulk garbage and metal pickups are available by appointment only. Residents choosing to use this service should utilize our online scheduling tool or contact the DPW office to schedule a collection. Collections are limited to 2-3 items. The size of the items will affect the quantity allowed for collection. Please be aware that there is a high demand for collection appointments, with limited slots per week, we ask for your patience as we schedule your appointment for the soonest available date.
- Residents that find they have more than the allowed 2-3 items should seek services of a private carting service or junk removal company. Many of these firms provide opportunities for re-use of your discarded items.
- When purchasing a large item, such as a mattress, appliance, or furniture, check with your retailer about disposal options for your older item. Residents are encouraged to donate items when possible: https://environment.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/2014Donations.pdf
- The Town does not collect construction debris, such as sheetrock, lumber, insulation, porcelain (toilets, sinks, bathtubs), tile, etc. Please contact your contractor or a private carter for proper disposal. https://www.westchestergov.com/swc/licensed-private-transfer-stations-and-processing-facilities
- The Town does not collect tires or hazardous materials (automotive fluids, fire extinguishers, fluorescent light bulbs, LEDs, kerosene and other flammable liquids, mercury thermometers/thermostats, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, photo & swimming pool chemicals, propane tanks, rechargeable batteries, etc.). These materials can be brought to the Westchester County Household Materials Recovery Facility, located at 15 Woods Rd, Valhalla, New York. Residents can reserve a time slot for appointments up to two weeks in advance. To make or cancel an appointment, call the Recycling Help Line at (914) 813-5425. More information can be found here: https://environment.westchestergov.com/facilities/h-mrf
- County regulations require mandatory recycling of all e-waste. This includes computers, TVs, printers, etc.
- E-Waste is accepted at the Westchester County Household Materials Recovery Facility, located at 15 Woods Road, Valhalla, New York. Residents can reserve a time slot for appointments up to two weeks in advance. To make or cancel an appointment, call the Recycling Help Line at (914) 813-5425. More information can be found here: https://environment.westchestergov.com/facilities/h-mrf
- E-Waste can also be brought to the Town DPW Yard, located at 100 Sprain Road, Ardsley. We are open Monday – Friday from 7:00 am – 3:00 pm, no appointment is needed for drop off.
- For more information on the proper handling of electronic waste in Westchester, please visit the County website here: https://environment.westchestergov.com/residents/recycling-guidelines/electronics-monitors-tvs
- A list of acceptable e-waste items can be found here: Acceptable E-Waste Items
ORGANIC YARD WASTE
- Organic waste pickup (i.e. leaves, cut up and tied branches, as per the Town Code) continues weekly – no appointment or call necessary. Just place your organic yard waste at the curb in open containers, or bundled and tied – no plastic! Please note:
- Leaves and grass clippings must be in paper yard waste bags or open, reusable containers not exceeding 50 pounds. No plastic bags. Consider mulching for improved yard care.
- Branches and twigs must be tied and neatly stacked in bundles less than 3 feet long and less than 2 feet in any other dimension. The Town shall not collect logs or stumps unless they are split in sections six inches or less in diameter.
- The Town does NOT pick up material from private contractors. For example, if you hire a contractor to remove a tree, they are responsible for hauling away the debris.
- The Town does NOT collect debris from gardeners renovating a property.
AUTOMATED SIDE-ARM SERVICE REMINDERS
- Only material in the Town Issued cart is collected.
- Do NOT pile garbage on top of the container. It will not be collected.
- Do not place loose trash in the cart. Bag all debris.
- Practice social distancing with your carts – keep them 3- feet apart/away from other objects.
- NO PLASTIC BAGS! Place recyclables loosely in the Town issued recycling cart.
- ONLY use the Town Issued cart for commingled recycling
- Need a larger recycling cart? Call us – we deliver! (914) 989-1581 or (914) 989-1580
- Cardboard Boxes must be broken down into flat pieces.
- Quick and simple way to flatten boxes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkHYFNSKuU
- Cardboard should be tied into bundles or placed in an open, reusable container. Keep the weight under 50-pounds. Paper is still collected manually by our Sanitation Workers. Keep it from blowing on windy days and help us by being aware.
- Simple way to tie paper and cardboard into bundles:
ALL MATERIAL MUST BE AT THE STREET EDGE BY 7:00 am.
The Town DPW office is available to you at (914) 989-1580, or by email at email@example.com
As always, we are at your service. Thank you and be safe!!
- "Gable-Top" Cartons such as milk, cream, and juice are placed with other recycle containers made of metal, glass, and plastic for collection. Do not mix paper and cardboard recyclables.
- Clean Aluminum Foil and Trays should be rinsed to free them of food particles and residue. All material should be combined together at curbside in a container or box that will be emptied and left for reuse.
- Glass jars and bottles of all types and colors re acceptable; labels my remain on and metal caps included.
- Metal cans should only consist of food and pet food types, labels my remain on and metal lids included.
- Plastic bottles such as soda, juice, milk jugs, and detergent containers that are coded with numbers 1 through 7 are acceptable.
Items such as televisions, cell phones, computers, keyboards, printers, scanners, fax machines, and more shall not be placed in the garbage and must be bought to the Town Highway Yard for drop off Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 .m. to 3 p.m.
The Town Highway Yard is located at:
100 Sprain Road
Ardsley, NY 10502
A list of acceptable Electronic Waste items can be found here.
- County regulations require mandatory recycling of all e-waste.
- Local retailers may accept electronic waste regardless of the origin of purchase. Please check county website or call a retailer directly for further information.
- E-Waste is accepted at the Westchester County Household Materials Recovery Facility, located at 15 Woods Road, Valhalla, New York. Residents can reserve a time slot for appointments up to two weeks in advance. To make or cancel an appointment, call the Recycling Help Line at (914) 813-5425. More information can be found here.
- For more information on the proper handling of electronic waste in Westchester, please visit the county website here.
- A list of acceptable e-waste items can be found here: Acceptable E-Waste Items
The town encourages mulching of leaves. Bagged or contained leaves (not exceeding 50 pounds) will be collected weekly during the fall leaf collection program. The Town no longer picks up leaf piles.
Leaves must be bagged or placed in open containers not exceeding 50 pounds!
- Brown grocery bags should be folded and placed inside of another kraft bag, or bag may be used to contain newspaper and junk mail
- Cardboard must be "non-wax" cardboard and free of excessive amounts of plastic adhesive tape. Staples need not be removed. It can either be broken up and placed inside a container/cardboard box or used to contain newspaper.
- Magazines consisting of envelopes, sweepstakes forms and office papers
- Newspaper including inserts, may be bundled or placed in a container or box that can be emptied and left for reuse.
Mulch! Mulch! Mulch! The Town encourages mulching grass clippings and leaves, “Love ‘Em and Leave ‘Em.”
View the Lele Page for more information about the benefits of mulching.
Collection of organic yard waste including tree debris is limited as follows:
- How do I dispose of paint cans?
You must schedule a bulk pickup for paint cans. All paint must be either dried up using cat litter or a chemical paint hardener, or remaining paint can be poured onto rags to dry it up. Lids must be taken off and left to the side. Bulk pickups are available by appointment only and can be schedule by phone at (914)989-1580 or online at https://widgets.recollect.net/r/area/GreenburghNY/waste?#
- How do I dispose of construction debris?
Construction debris (including cement) must be removed by a private carter or the contractor that did the work. Westchester County provides a list of licensed private transfer stations & processing facilities, which can be found at https://www.westchestergov.com/swc/licensed-private-transfer-stations-and-processing-facilities
- How do I dispose of Styrofoam? Is it recyclable?
Styrofoam can be placed in your Town issued garbage can or scheduled for a bulk pickup. Bulk pickups are available by appointment only and can be schedule by phone at (914)989-1580 or online at https://widgets.recollect.net/r/area/GreenburghNY/waste?#
- How do I dispose of household batteries and car batteries?
Regular batteries can be put out with household garbage. Rechargeable batteries must be brought to the Westchester County Household Materials Recovery Facility. Car batteries must be taken to a mechanic or gas station for disposal. The NYS Rechargeable Battery Law makes it illegal to throw rechargeable batteries in the trash. Rechargeable batteries must be brought to the Westchester County Household Materials Recovery Facility, located at 15 Woods Rd, Valhalla. Please contact them at 914-813-5425 to schedule a drop off time. Additional information about proper battery disposal can be found here: https://environment.westchestergov.com/residents/recycling-guidelines/household-batteries
- How do I dispose of carpet?
Carpeting must be cut into 4 feet lengths, rolled and tied up, then scheduled for a bulk pickup appointment. Bulk garbage pickups are available by appointment only. Bulk pickups are available by appointment only and can be schedule by phone at (914)989-1580 or online at https://widgets.recollect.net/r/area/GreenburghNY/waste?#
- How do I dispose of medical needles?
These items must be placed in a leak, shatter and puncture-proof container with a screw top and labeled "Sharps" and put out with regular garbage. For further information on disposal of medical waste, please refer to the County of Westchester website: https://health.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/SharpSmarts2018.pdf
- Are milk, juice, cream, and “Gable-Top” cartons recyclable?
Recyclable cartons include both refrigerated "gable-top" and shelf-stable aseptic cartons, often used to contain: cream, egg substitutions, juice, milk, non-dairy milk beverages, soup and broth, etc. Place these types of containers with other recyclable containers made of metal, glass, and plastic for collection: they should not be included with paper and cardboard recyclables. These cartons need to be empty and rinsed before being placed them in your commingled recycling cart.
- What to do with wire hangers?
Wire hangers, like those from dry-cleaning, are not accepted with household recycling as the wire can jam the machinery. The dry cleaner may accept them.